We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Friday, February 23, 2007

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (#6, Classic)

If I had to compare this novel to any other book I would say Tender is the Night is the G-rated version of Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. Both stories intertwine the lives of various American expatriates bouncing around Europe living a perpetual vacation.

The novel bounces between narrators, beginning with Rosemary, the young American who is the impetus or excuse for the downward spiral of Dick Diver. Nicole Diver, another narrator, Dick's wife and originally his mental patient, goes through life depending on Dick, until the very end when their marriage has completely unhinged.

Because the introduction and everything I have heard about the book claims that it is loosely based on Fitzgerald's dark life with his wife Zelda I expected a more tragic ending. I won't give away how it ends, but I was definitely surprised at the lack of "fireworks".

I didn't love the book. I get sort of bored seeing characters continue to make the same mistakes over and over, but I suppose Fitzgerald was trying to be realistic, hence its autobiographical nature.

No comments: