We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Friday, February 22, 2008

Persuasion by Jane Austen (#7, British Lit)

She never fails me. I have been proclaiming for many years that Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel, and upon rereading it I still adore it.

I love the writing, I love the characters, I love the humor, and yes, I also love the happily ever afters. Anne and Captain Wentworth may not have all their teeth, but their story is a true happily ever after. They were meant to marry 8 years ago, but because of the persuasions of others in Anne's life she refused him. His pride and her sensibilities kept them apart, yet neither ever truly got over the other. (notice the use of all the other titles? :) In the end he allows her back into his heart, even after she broke it so many years ago.

Happily ever after, does it really happen? I may have some cynical tendencies, but deep down I think I am a sucker for it.

No comments: