We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Friday, March 14, 2014

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (#1, Fiction)

I'm a bit delinquent in posting my books for 2014 so far.  I have also been pretty bad about reading regularly, but with my one book a week during Lent challenge I am hoping to get back into the reading swing of things.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao was complex.  There are just so many characters and so many plot lines that weave in and out of the novel that it's hard to characterize simply.  A combination of a coming of age, mixed with folklore and history, with a twist of love all tied together with the supernatural, and ultimately foreshadowed tragedy.

I feel a bit out of line in saying that I didn't love it.  The reviews were great, it won a Pulitzer, it was recommended with glowing praise, all the right ingredients for a five star read.  At the end of the day I think it just wasn't my cup of tea.  I liked it, I get why it was considered great, the writing is fantastic, but I guess I have to accept that just because something is highly acclaimed doesn't mean I also have to love it.  I can see it for what it is, and move on and be glad that I expanded my novel knowledge.

4 out of 5 stars.



No comments: