We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (#15, Nonfiction, Alaska)

Steph, Spoon and I have started a new book challenge. Near the end of 2014 Brooklyn Magazine came out with a list titled, The Literary United States: A Map of the Best Book for Every State.  I didn't even have to look at the list to say "Challenge Accepted."

I actually read Into the Wild many years ago.  I went through a Jon Krakauer phase sometime shortly post college.  Initially, I planned to skip this one and just read the books I hadn't previously read.  But whatever whim caused me to pick it up at the library I am thankful for! His writing is so great.  Generally I'm not a fan of the telling of stories not directly related to the story at hand, so when Krakauer went on his "other adventurer" chapters I started to skim. But at some point during my skimming I realized I was reading every word, and not only reading them, but enjoying these tangential stories!

He's such a great writer and I'm so happy I've been reminded of his extreme talent and plan to pick up a new Krakauer very soon.

4.5 out of 5

No comments: