We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, October 25, 2007

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max (#35, Nonfiction)

Where do I begin? Tucker Max's I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell is offensive, hilarious, and downright scary. I wonder if I am stupider for having read his stories. Yes, some of them were extremely funny, but not in a good way. While some stories featured Max himself as the butte of the joke, most of the time the joke was on whichever slutty, fat, dumb whore he found himself hooking up with at the time. And I use those particular words only because they are the ones used by him most of the time. I feel like every girl should read this book, in hopes of somehow making them wiser about what drinking alcohol with low self-esteem can actually result in. The fact is, there are guys out there, waiting to pounce on you and then turn around and exploit it. If I ever saw Tucker Max out at a bar, I'd kick him in the balls.

I am skeptical of Max though. I don't know if I quite believe that every single thing he writes about in every single one of his stories is true. How can someone have that many crazy stories? Becky and I were discussing it, and while the things he writes about can happen, like shitting yourself in a hotel lobby and then getting banned for life or any of the other crazy, vulgar, inappropriate stories that I won't even mention on here, I doubt that one person can be the master of them all. And also, how can someone who is as drunk as he is for most of the book, recall every single detail? It just seems too much. But alas, the guy is making a living off these crazy stories and who can blame him for it? It's just too bad most of the stories come at the price of another person's dignity.

No comments: