We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

King Richard II by William Shakespeare (#15, Classic)

King Richard II is my last official school-related entry. I am officially done with my undergraduate career as an English major and to close it out, I have the Shakespeare history play King Richard II. Reading this after writing my 15 page paper on Henry IV makes me wish I had read it before turning it in. There are a couple scenes that I could have used in my argument. Oh well.

Shakespeare wrote this entire play in poetic verse, which is one of the reasons it is so difficult. I really enjoyed Richard's descent into madness and Bolingbrook's ascent into power. There are a lot of funny scenes in this play, especially the one where Bolingbrook inquires as to the whereabouts of his errant son, Hal. He then suggests his men scour all the lowly taverns in London to find him--which is precisely where his opening scene in Henry IV begins.

My total count of Shakespeare plays read in college sits at a healthy eight. I can live with that. But now, the summer reading list beckons. I have a long list of books waiting for me and about 11 books to read so that I can catch up and be on pace to meet the 50 books goal.

No comments: