We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Sunday, July 8, 2007

A Mighty Heart by Mariane Pearl (#25, Nonfiction)

I didn't exactly plan on reading this book. My sister picked it out and read it by the pool. I don't really think A Mighty Heart qualifies as a nice pool read, but everyone has their own flavor of chewing gum I suppose. This book just seemed too serious to be a summer read, but I got desperate on the 12 hour drive from Virginia to Maine. I had a couple books left to read in my stash, but when I started reading them, I just couldn't make it past the first page.

I picked up A Mighty Heart on a whim and got sucked in. Mariane Pearl tells the horrible story of how her husband, American journalist Daniel Pearl, was kidnapped and then murdered but she does it in such a way that instills more hope in than sadness in the reader. I really enjoyed her descriptions of Danny, he came alive through her words and she honors his memory in the telling of this tragic event.

I am embarrassed to reveal that I barely remember the actual event occuring in real time. Where was I and how did I react? I don't think I pay too much attention to current events to really get sucked into these types of news stories. Reading this book made me wish I had. I wish I could remember reading about it in the paper and watching the news to find out what happened to Pearl but sadly, I didn't watch the news back in high school, nor do I watch it much now. But I am glad to have read this book, glad to have heard the story, glad to have learned that Mariane Pearl didn't let the tragic, horrible end of her husband kill the good in her. She writes how Daniel Pearl had a mighty heart, and it is through her own unwillingness to let anger and hatred blacken her own life that she and her son, Adam, triumph over the terrorists that took Danny's life. She too has a mighty heart.

5 comments:

Karl Wirsing said...

You had me until your last line. The cheese nearly spilled out onto my keyboard. Would you excuse me, please, while I swallow this last bit of vomit?

Shirley Makeout said...

Ha, yeah, I thought it might have been too much. I blame it on the novacaine coursing through my left boob--it addled my brain to produce the drivel that is the last line of that post. But one day, Karl, I will craft a post that adequately satisfies your desire for smart and witty literary criticism. Or something like that.

Karl Wirsing said...

Just because I only like medium walks on the beach doesn't make me that hard to please

Karl Wirsing said...

It just occurred to me this morning that you mentioned a numbed left boob yesterday. I'm sure there's a story to go along with it?

Shirley Makeout said...

Oh you know, just a little mole removal action.