We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (#23, Reader's Choice)


It wasn't until four J.K. Rowling books had been released that I jumped on the Harry Potter bandwagon. Normally, I avoid books that anyone and everyone read. Being my book snob self I assume that if everyone thinks a book is good there must be a giant flaw. Funny then to find me in a line, 100+ people deep, waiting to purchase my own copy of the seventh and final installment of the series. Turns out I am a Harry Potter fan through and through, and am proud of it.

There are few books I will while away a whole day reading, but I have done it multiple times to see how things turn out for Harry, Ron and Hermione. J.K. Rowling somehow managed to encapsulate all childhood dreams of an imaginary world into her stories: flying, changing into animals, being invisible, time travel--to name a few. Yet, alongside her very magical and imaginative ideas she weaves in real world situations and themes--war, racial purity, the struggle for power and interpersonal relationships. To write a book that appeals to even one person is a feat, but to write a book that can enchant people from all walks of life and all ages is as mysterious as the books she writes.

I have nothing but good things to say about each book. My favorite is still probably The Prisoner of Azkaban, but in my opinion she wound up the story perfectly in The Deathly Hallows. I can guarantee I will be eagerly awaiting the next gem J.K. Rowling has to offer.

No comments: