We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The BFG by Roald Dahl, (#24, Reader's Choice)

I wasn't lying when I said I was going to read another children's book. I ventured back down to the "young adult" section of the library in search of a Roald Dahl book I had yet to tear through. All the classics were there, Matilda, The Witches, James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory--it was hard to resist rereading something that would bring back nostalgic childhood memories. Instead, my eyes fell upon the one book on the shelf by Dahl I hadn't read--The BFG.

Steph and Shawn endured my continually fits of laughter on the beach as I sped through the world of the BFG and Sophie. I think I would group Roald Dahl in a category with J.K. Rowling--how they just come up with completely imaginary worlds and words is beyond me. I am left-handed yet my imagination fails me daily. Not Dahl though, what an amazing, bizarre, sometimes scary, but always exciting world he has created for children.

I like snapping a book shut with a smile on my face. Mission accomplished.

No comments: