We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, August 6, 2007

Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas by Tom Robbins (#27, Contemporary Literature)

Ladies and gents, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas was my inaugural Tom Robbins novel. This is shocking I know. After having read this delightfully quirky and wonderfully written book, I wonder how he escaped my good literature radar. I am always on the prowl for the next best author, the next best book. Someone who shall remain nameless recommended this author to me. This same person, though, did not think that this particular book would be the best book to kick off my adventures into Robbins' literary world.

Yes, this book was a little slow to get into, I admit. It is told entirely in the second person, which is strange at first but then you get used to it. I actually kind of enjoyed it. I found myself identifying with the main character more because of it. But I must say, I have never gotten this much attention for reading a book before. I brought it to work with me and while it sat out on the counter, I had countless people talk to me about it. I had people recommending his other books, people telling me how great he is, people telling me that he really appeals to the ladies, people asking me how the book was--that they hadn't read it yet, people whispering "fierce invalids--that's all you need to know". It was as if I had stumbled upon a secret society, of fans addicted to the work of a man who writes unique things and has quite a following.

Would I recommend Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas? I believe so. I mean, how can you resist reading a story that includes a jade enema, the disappearance of a fat fortune teller, and a runaway born-again reformed jewel thief monkey?

No comments: