We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town by John Grisham (#30, Nonfiction)

I've never really been a huge fan of John Grisham. I can give or take him. I liked some of his older books, The Firm, The Pelican Brief, and then I was pleasantly surprised with The Runaway Jury. But, I honestly haven't read him in years.

Someone suggested I read this one. I'm not sure how I feel about Grisham and nonfiction. I diligently read the first 200 pages, then got bored and skimmed through about 150 pages and then actually continued reading the end.

The book made me mad though. I really can't believe that based on the evidence and information that the prosecution put together that four men were/are on death row. Although, I'm trying to also realize that the book begins and ends from one, and only one perspective--innocent men put in jail for a crime they didn't commit. So, it's hard to be objective about any of the details when I went into it knowing he was not guilty.

After going to law school and learning about Constitutional law and criminal procedure I really can't believe how sketchy the police and prosecutor in the case acted. I guess I didn't realize that detectives actually pulled out all those Law and Order moves like good cop/bad cop and keeping people isolated for so long that they final confess just to get out of there!

Way to go detectives of Ada, OKlahoma, awesome job of letting the real murderer get away with it for almost 20 years.

No comments: