We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Blindness by Jose Saramago (#7, Contemporary Literature)

I think I need to institute a new rule with the books I read. NO MORE DEPRESSINGNESS. Seriously, why do all "good" books have to be depressing? Personally, I don't believe that, but pick up a Nobel prize winner and the chances of it being uplifting are basically nil.

I don't watch the news because I find it sad and full of death, destruction, and despair. I really don't want to spend my free time reading books about people sloshing through their own excrement and rationing food and drinking muck water. no gracias.

Normally when I read a book and I learn that there is a movie adaptation I want to see it to find out how closely it follows the book and what the characters could look like. Blindness, though.... I don't think I need to have a visual of the horribleness that I already read. I don't mean horribleness in the sense that it was a bad book or poorly written, because that is certainly not the case. Horribleness in the sense of the atrocities that humans will force onto each other, and the base conditions that people can somehow manage to survive through.

Next up... something a little lighter and able to cause a blush to rise to my cheeks... Voyager!

No comments: