We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thank You For Smoking by Christopher Buckley (#15, Fiction)

I saw this movie almost exactly three years ago. Wow, was that really only three years ago? It feels like a lifetime. Anyway.

A co-worker said the book was much better than the movie, so I figured I'd check it out. I enjoyed the movie, the satire of the subject is pretty ridiculous, (that is satire, right?) and I enjoyed the book as well.

It is pretty awesome reading a book set in the city in which one works and lives. I envisioned Nick walking down Rhode Island Avenue, enjoying the cherry blossoms like I have been doing this month, and I can picture him scurrying around the Mall covered in nicotine patches and being picked up by some cop on a horse! That's not the way it happened in the book, but I really like the horse cops, so that's going to be my version.

The book is a quick read. Very entertaining, and full of messed up and crazy characters. I really enjoyed how Buckley wrote the southern accents--"Ah'd lak to thank Mistuh Nayla fuh his courage in attendin' today's hea'ngs." How great is that? I can just read it over and over again and actually hear some dirty old Senator speaking.

If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend reading the book first! And if you have seen the movie, why not read the book?

No comments: