We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Perfume by Patrick Sueskind (#10, Contemporary Literature)

I am not one to forget which books I read and the order that I read them in, but somehow this one slipped my mind! Sarah got me this book for Valentine's Day and I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I had to take a break in the middle of it to read the horrendous Jane Green novel, Second Chance.

Patrick SΓΌskind's Perfume is perhaps one of the strangest stories I have ever read. Oddly enough, it was the book I read right after Jitterbug Perfume and you can imagine how much my mind was swimming in smells and scents and all things olfactory. Perfume is the story of THE supernose, which is someone (generally a man) has a nose that can detect the minutest of scents that go into perfumes. I don't want to describe too many details because I think I would have enjoyed the book much more had I known very little about the premise.

Perfume is historical, weird, gripping and oddly creepy. It will make you start to analyze the scents that make up your own world and it will make you yearn for the perfect perfume. If only I had a bottle of the ultimate perfume...

No comments: