We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (#30, Fiction)

Oh the potential. I bought this book in hardcover because I was so excited about my second round with Carlos Ruiz Zafon. And the disappointment. Expectations, too high? Maybe. I really loved The Shadow of the Wind, and so did almost everyone in book club who read it, which is a huge feat with our diverse taste in books.

My new thing is to read reviews, and The Angel's Game consistently comes up short of The Shadow of the Wind. But, to give Zafon some credit, the point at which the plot in his new book diverged on a more diabolical and mystic path is where he lost me. In Shadow you feel the mystery, and you wonder about supernatural forces, but in the end it's all real--spooky, but none of that sci-fi stuff. Not so much the case in this one.

I do really enjoy his writing and general style. Funny, clever, descriptive.

I hope his next book can do a better job of tying things up at the end... I'm still confused!

No comments: