We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan (#34, Fiction)

Another book club pick. As I have stated time and again, I am always a fan of historical fiction/fiction/nonfiction blend. There is nothing better than reading while also learning about someone, something, or someplace.

In Loving Frank we learn about the life of Frank Lloyd Wright and his mistress Mamah Borthwork Cheney. I just finished the book last night and have yet to do my standard Internet search about the life and work of Frank, but, WOW, do I have some questions!

But, about the book. I really enjoyed the first hundred pages. The characters pulled me in, the story was intriguing, and you really feel the pain of Mamah, and the arrogance of Frank. I wavered back and forth about what I would do in their situation. Clearly, these days divorce and families being torn apart is almost typical, but at the turn of the 20th century, a woman not in love with her husband had limited options.

I think the whole philosophical discussion behind the women's movement got a bit boring for me. Mamah is on a constant journey to find justification and validation for her actions, for leaving her children. At the end she seems to have an epiphany that she doesn't have to choose, she can have love for Frank and love for her children, but it seems that during that time period women were almost forced to choose.

But, wow. THE. ENDING. Did not see that one coming.

No comments: