We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, June 17, 2013

Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel by Jeannette Walls (#12, Fiction/Nonfiction blend)

I went into this one with very high expectations.  The Glass Castle continues to sit near the top of my "best of" nonfiction book list, but Half Broke Horses came up short.  The book had me hooked at the beginning--it is the story of Jeannette's grandmother's life in the wild, wild west.  The book is technically fiction, but all the stories are based off of Grandma Lily, and she certainly had many stories worth telling.  I don't know if it was the voice Walls wrote in, trying to capture her Grandmother's language quirks, or the piecemeal storytelling but I found myself flipping very quickly skimming through the second half to just get to the end.

2.5 out of 5.

No comments: