We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, November 14, 2013

The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles (#24, Fiction)

I think I am still processing this book.  It was a book club pick, and unfortunately I was extremely delinquent in getting around to reading it and therefore had to fly through it in the few hours before book club. 

The "choose your own adventure" sort of plot was interesting and new to me.  Not that we actually got to choose, but a few times in the novel he goes down one road, and then backtracks and says, nope, nevermind that actually didn't happen that way, but it could have, but this is what actually happened. 

I'm still struggling to understand the motivations of the characters.  Specifically, the "woman."  This book would have been ideal to read in a discussion class because there is just too much to absorb when reading for pleasure.

3.5 out of 5.

No comments: