We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (#1, Classic)

Invisible Man may not be the best book I've ever read, and it probably wouldn't make my personal top 50 or onto my recommendation list, but unlike some of the books I have read in the recent past, I don't feel less intelligent for having read it. That said--did I actually like it, is it good literature, do I feel enlightened? Mostly, Yes. Often times when I am reading I find myself skimming quickly along to find out what happens--Invisible Man is not conducive to my method. I found more theoretical narrative and rambling prose than an unfolding plot, not exactly a page turner. On to the analysis.

Apparently Ralph Ellison wrote Invisible Man in response to books like Black Boy and Native Son to counter the "ignorant and naive" black narrator. The narrator in Invisible Man is extremely intelligent and praised for his oratory ability throughout the novel, yet, his naivety almost raises him to the level of ignorance. He wants so badly to make a difference, and you as a reader also want that to happen, that you both get caught up in believing he is going to come out on top. Pulling for the narrator is all the more comical as a reader because the first chapter begins at the end, and from the first paragraph you know it is not a "happily ever after" ending. I wondered from the beginning, "Who is an invisible man, what makes him invisible?" That is what the nameless narrator realizes at the very end once he is robbed of his naivety and the reality of his life and position in society sets in. He is invisible not because of his race, but rather because he is not a person, instead he is a pawn for his "Brothers" to accomplish their never fully defined goal.

Invisible Man should be read in a classroom or at least should be discussed along the way. Often times during the book I would be completely confused about what was going on, "Where is he? Who are they? Did he just get a lobotomy???!!?" (Still wondering!) Pushing through, suddenly the plot would fall back into place and I would have to just pretend I understood the previous chapter. After finishing the book I am so curious about reading scholarly articles to get a better grasp on what I read . . . did I get it? Hopefully I did not completely miss the point. Bottom line–good book, fairly easy reading, but take your time!

And now on to book number two of 2007–Marley and Me by John Grogan. Who can resist that cover? Being the animal lover I am this is sure to be a quick read. Stay tuned.

No comments: