We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Love Story by Erich Segal (#30, Reader's Choice)

I texted my good friend Sarah for a recommendation for a book about a love story and she said to read Love Story by Erich Segal. I am not sure to count this as a classic or not, as it is a quintessential story about love. How have I not read this book until now? Everyone knows of the movie with Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal--this is the novel on which it is based. A definite quick read, I finished the book while getting my hair highlighted and I had to stifle my tears so as to not look like the idiot crying with pieces of tinfoil sticking out all over their head.

Segal's sparse style and use of young, hip slang (for the 60's) reminded me a lot of J. D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. The most memorable quote--"Love means never having to say you're sorry" still applies today. I enjoyed reading a book that uses the idea that love should be unconditional as its central thread.

No comments: