We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Watermelon King by Daniel Wallace (#28, Reader's Choice)

I am a big fan of the movie Big Fish and I kept seeing this book on the shelf at the library. It called out to me and I decided to give it a chance--there was in fact a mystery at foot and I got hooked by the first chapter. Daniel Wallace is a born storyteller. I liked the southern flavor of his story, and the way he used multiple narrators to keep the reader in the dark for as long as possible. Some things he was able to keep hidden until the final revelation, others not so much. I knew who our main character was going to run away with from the moment the two characters met, but the secret of who his father was remained a mystery until Wallace revealed it.

Big Fish is better, but if you are looking for a strange story that is in its own way about the art of story telling, I'd recommend The Watermelon King. Think To Kill A Mockingbird crossed with The Mists of Avalon. An unusual combination but somehow it works.

No comments: