We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins (#26, Contemporary Literature)

Tom Robbins. He has been a question mark to me ever since I was buying his novels for my high school boyfriend over 10 years ago. Nick loved the books, guys in general seem to enjoy Robbins, even Steph read him and said it was hard to get past reading in the second person, but once she accomplished that she enjoyed the book. I had high hopes.

Skinny Legs and All on the inside flap starts by saying it is about a Jew and an Arab who get together and open a restaurant across the street from the United Nations building. After my Jewish education at Emory I am always interested in immersing myself in the culture. Turns out what I should have paid more attention to on the inside flap was the reference to a talking spoon, can of beans and dirty sock . . . . ummmmmm??? Yeah, I am not kidding. There was also a talking conch shell, painted stick and . . . wait for this one . . . Vibrator!

Underneath the incredibly bizarre facade, Robbins tackles very deep and important questions about religion. Why are we fighting in Jerusalem? Who started it? Who is right? Who is worthy? Who is wrong? Apparently I was unable to compartmentalize and get over the fact that these questions are being discussed by a conch shell and a can of beans.

I gave Tom Robbins a shot. I am not sad.

No comments: