We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (#26, Nonfiction)

I'm not really sure what the correct adjective to describe the book would be.... amazing just seems wrong because to me it implies more happiness.... and well, heartbreaking doesn't fit either because although at times it certainly broke my heart, the book made me laugh almost as much as it made me cringe in sadness.... unbelievable...does that work? well, for me it does, but I assume that there are many people in the world who can relate very personally to the story....

Maybe I will come up with the perfect word eventually, but wow, this book is quite the memoir. I think the part that got to me the most is at the beginning when he is retelling his childhood and starting at the age of 4 he was already acting in a parental capacity to his 3 (yes 3!!!) younger brothers. All I could think about was my 4 year old nephew... there is no way!!!

Once again, thanks Mom, thanks Dad, for the food, the clothes, the house, the education and for making me aware of the fact that I had it good.

No comments: