We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (#31, Classic)

Finally, a book that is not of the self-help/young adult category. I have been reading too many of those lately and thought it would be good to read something of substance. Enter Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo.  I really enjoyed this classic masterpiece, despite knowing the story before reading the book. I saw the movie back in 2003--I remember the day exactly because it was spring break freshman year and my new boyfriend called while we were watching the movie. I took the call and never finished the movie. Needless to say, I was very eager to find out how it would all end. Would the Count get his revenge? Would he find his lost love and find happiness? Would he confront his enemies and repay them for ruining his life? 

I did notice one thing while reading my first Dumas novel. He uses the phrase, "blow out his brains" quite a bit. Anytime one of the characters ponders suicide, the only way it is referred to is as "blowing out" one's brains. Perhaps there was a problem with the translator and in French this phrase sounds better. 

No comments: