We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, July 6, 2009

Smashed by Koren Zailckas (#26, Nonfiction)

It's hard to review this book. A book that in one moment feels so familiar-- sounding like stories I have heard, things I have seen, and, rarely, things I have done myself. But, on the other hand, her thoughts and reasons for her actions are so foreign.

It was amusing to read the book, especially the college years, because I realized how universal the "college experience" can be, whether you are at Syracuse in freezing New York, or at Emory south of the border. Many of her stories had me laughing out loud because I could have passed them off as my own (second hand of course).

I wavered back and forth between thinking she actually had a drinking problem, to thinking she was just a dumb young girl who made too many poor choices. I sort of felt like she was a fake. If I were to take eight years of my life and write down all of the funny and/or stupid stories and not write about anything else that I did, then it would probably sound like I drank too much too. But, I guess what made her drinking a problem was her reason for doing it. She drank because otherwise she was unable to function in social settings--that I do not relate to.

No comments: