We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, July 13, 2009

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (#28, Fiction)

I wasn't as impressed by this book as I remember being by The Kite Runner. It could just be a case of hindsight, or maybe the hundreds off books I've read in between that have obviously changed my taste in books.

The nonfiction nature of the setting to Hosseini's books is enlightening and terrible to imagine. The bloodshed and terror that so many Afghans have lived through for so many years, so much so that it probably becomes part of the routine of their lives, is unbearable. I appreciate any book that can teach me some part of history, or give me a better understanding into another culture.

But, I didn't love the story of this one. It felt more hurried and canned than his first book. I had too many predictions of how things would go... and then they happened exactly that way. I guess I just expected it to be a little bit deeper, harder, slower of a read, less a page turner and more a thought provoker.

No comments: