We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, July 2, 2009

In the Woods by Tana French (#25, Fiction)

My obsession with In the Woods almost reached my Twilight obsession level. Two totally different kinds of books, similar levels of obsession--reading while walking!!! Who does that?

It's practically impossible for me to not get completely invested in crime scene/investigative books like this--all stemming from my love of CSI, Law and Order, Criminal Minds etc. Tana French had me hooked from the second I read the back, no question.

The story was well thought out, not too convoluted, you could actually figure out part of the mystery on your own. I didn't figure it out until close to the end, probably at the point where most people figured it out for sure, but I felt proud nonetheless.

Let's talk about my hangups. (you may not want to read from here on if you plan on reading this book) OH MY GOD when I snapped this one shut I was INFURIATED. Absolutely, not falling asleep, never reading her again infuriated! I ran downstairs to discuss the ending with my roommate, but she was in a sleepy haze on the couch and did not satisfy my bitching needs. Who ends a book like that???? My Mom, a huge reader, had already warned me in a message, "I read the book last summer and really enjoyed it, until the end." At the time, I didn't even want to think about not liking it, because I was enjoying it so much.

Once 12 or so hours had passed I was less worked up, but then started discussing it with my mom, and was right back at square one. At that point I decided to look Tana French up online to see what other readers had to say--were they as mad as I was? I found a synopsis of her second book, just released in May, The Likeness--which initially I figured I would definitely read as well, but at this point, TOO INFURIATED. Then I saw it: The same names. The same characters. Her second book begins six months after the first one concludes...she has just started a series... it all makes so much more sense! It would be like reading just one Harry Potter book without knowing it was a series!

Fury? Gone!

Although, I haven't had to sit around and wait for the next book in a series since Harry Potter, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

No comments: