We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt (#39, Nonfiction)

Thanks to some hardcover overstock, I bought this book at Borders for $2.99. It was definitely an impulse buy right by the checkout, but I figure it's not the same as buying a candy bar.

I read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil many years ago. I've been to Savannah many times and enjoyed being taken on a written tour of the Spanish moss lined streets and cobblestone waterfront. Lots of people have stories to tell, somewhere in their past or present, and John Berendt has the ability to get people to open up to him. He did it in his first book, as well as in The City of Falling Angels.

This time he spent X number of months living in Venice. His story begins at the fire at the Fenice Opera House, but quickly grows to include a diverse assortment of Venice natives and expatriates.

It was interesting. I feel more knowledgeable about Venice, but I still don't know what a freaking Doge is!!

No comments: