We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (#40, Classic)

I picked this one for book club. I wanted to pick a scary book for our October rendezvous, but, I wanted a classic scary novel, a true psychological thriller. I dedicated many a precious minute to trying to find the perfect book. I'm the book snob, so I can't pick just anything.

The reviews from both critics and readers had nothing but positive (and scary!) things to say about The Haunting of Hill House.

"First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror."

"The Haunting of Hill House remains one of the most important horror novels of all time and certainly one of the most singular haunted house tales ever written."

I wasn't scared. Not on the metro. Not at the gym. Not while I was home alone reading late at night. Not at all.

Do I just lack imagination?

We'll see what the book club critics think, maybe our discussion will give me more clarity on how I feel about the book.

No comments: