We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (#8, Reader's Choice)

Oh where has the last month gone? For the past two weeks I tried over and over to make a dent in the Blind Assassin, and finally, last night I got hooked and sped through 300 pages to the finish line.

Margaret Atwood is a great writer with innovative ideas. Steph let me borrow The Handmaid's Tale over the summer, which was very 1984-esque, and although I found it creepy it was a good read. In her more recent novel, The Blind Assassin, the theme is more traditional--the rise and fall of a once prosperous yet twisted family--but Atwood still manages to weave a story within a story within a story. Yes, you read correctly, three stories for the price of one.

I haven't talked with Steph yet about her thoughts on the book, but when she gave it to me she said it had a mystery to it. Within the last chapter the narrator reveals the big "secret" and everything falls into place. But I am not sure if it was actually supposed to be mysterious or not because I had already decided that the cryptic lines were not actually cryptic, but obvious. So either I am really smart (obviously) or Atwood didn't intend to make her readers wait on the edge of their seat for all the answers. Either way, I enjoyed the book and I would happily recommend Atwood to all types of readers.

No comments: