We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, March 5, 2007

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult (#7, Reader's Choice)

A few years ago I read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, and although I never really got into her continuous narrator change, the book as a whole made me think. Thinking is good. When I saw Vanishing Acts sitting on my roommate's bookcase I thought it would be the perfect beach read for my trip to Costa Rica. Apparently, some time in the past few years I became a book snob and I found almost no redeeming qualities in this book.

I could appreciate the legal jargon in My Sister's Keeper but not in Vanishing Acts. To be fair, maybe I enjoyed it more because I find the topic of medical legal rights more interesting than family law, which is all a matter of taste. But, on the other hand, I found most of Vanishing Acts unbelievable and trite. I had a really hard time seeing the dad in jail teaching his cellmate how to make Crystal Meth. And the whole happily ever after ending?!? In what world does the best friend who has been pining over the girl for their whole lives finally get her and everyone is happy??? I don't think so.

Side Note: The night before my flight to Costa Rica I couldn't fall asleep (big surprise) so I picked up another book belonging to my roommate (I'm starting to entirely question her taste) just to pass the time, and I feel like I need to warn anyone and everyone against reading Every Sunday by Peter Pezzelli. Just don't do it. Unless you're in the mood for an obvious unfolding of the plot and awful writing stay away.

No comments: