We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Blindsided by Richard M. Cohen (#9, Nonfiction)

I am not sure whether I think of this book as a complete downer or as an inspiration. Clearly it is an extraordinary story--a man's tale of living three decades with multiple sclerosis, not to mention two bouts of colon cancer added into the mix. All the while Cohen continues his career as a news producer for a major network and takes the reader with him on his journeys to Beirut and El Salvador in the midst of war zones.

I do not envy Richard Cohen, and I certainly wouldn't want to be in his shoes. But I admire and respect the accomplishments he has achieved with such huge physical barriers in his way. Hopefully his memoir will inspire both those with similar ailments, as well as those without, to continue striving for everything they deserve as well as everything they believe to be out of reach.

Blindsided made me a bit of a hypochondriac and a bit sad, but it also made me appreciate everything that I already have right in front of me. I think I am fairly good about embracing the small things in life and not dwelling on the trivial, but it's always nice to be reminded that life is good.

No comments: