We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Revenger's Tragedy by Cyril Tourneur (#8, Classic)


I never quite know what to write about the books I read for class. This was a really strange play. Reading it had me thirsting for the delightfulness of a Shakespearean piece. At least when Will was vulgar he did it with style and flair. In this play--I don't even really know how to describe it. Let's just say it is about a man, Vindice, who seeks revenge against a Duke who raped and killed his woman. It is a rather sick display of crazy as there is a scene where Vindice carries around the skull of his deceased fiancee, talking to her and then later tricking the Duke into kissing the veiled skull so as to poison him. Oh and don't forget the other subplot where Vindice consents to trying to convince his mother (he is in a disguise of course) to let the Duke's son have sex with his sister. Yeah.

So, that's about all I got for that. I suppose I should reserve my critical observations for an imminent paper. Up next--I hope it is Persuasion, as I have been slowly progressing through what is not a bad book at all--I just have lots of non-book things to read for school. If only short stories, poems, and scholarly articles counted.

No comments: