We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Holes by Louis Sachar (#18, Reader's Choice)

In about 20 hours time I went from checking Holes out of the library to snapping it shut onto my nightstand. What a great children's book. Because I seem to like the long books, Steph suggested Holes as a nice way to gain some quick ground, but don't think that just because a book is shorter it means it is less worthy. Holes is more creative and memorable than many long-winded adult books I have read in my day.

This was not my first foray into books by Louis Sachar. If you remember he also wrote the greatly imaginative Wayside School stories. I remember these stories as fondly as the Roald Dahl books I read as a youngin'. Hmm, maybe I should add a Roald Dahl book to the list . . .

Anyway, back to Holes. The characters are funny, the plot is there and it all ties together perfectly at the end, and the ending definitely had me with a big smirk on my face. Very cute. Four stars.

No comments: