We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Saturday, June 30, 2007

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf (#19, Classic)

I have four best friends from college and we are all scattered across the country--Portland, ME, Atlanta, GA, Memphis, TN, Washington D.C. and NY, NY. When we all get together, whether it is all five of us or just two of us, we have so much to talk about and so much to say. We constantly interrupt each other and without fail find ourselves about ten degrees away from our original train of thought. Imagine if you were a fly on the wall trying to keep up with us, not to mention we are talking about things and people you are not familiar with, and then we keep skipping around and jumping in and adding on, that is how I felt reading Virginia Woolf.

Stream of consciousness, that is what they call it, and apparently that is one of the many traits she is known for. I call it stream of confusion. It took me awhile to read and know who was "thinking" and figure out what they were thinking about, because it was non-sequitur about 90% of the time. And when I finally think there is a main "thinker" she gets the ax.

The stream of consciousness may not be my "pick of the litter" for narration, but I can appreciate its literary uniqueness, and but for other shortcomings from Woolf it wouldn't stop me from reading another of her novels. Shortcomings may not be the right word, maybe what I mean is shortcomings in her own life come across too strongly in her works. To clarify, I mean the book is quite dark, and has many references to suicide, and we all know how Virginia's life ended (suicide by walking into a river with a rock in her pocket). All books do not need a happy ending, but I am so far from understanding utter despair, especially when there is a lack of want for general necessities of life.

I can understand why Virginia Woolf and her books are considered classic works and should at least be dabbled at, but she is definitely not my author of choice, but I am sure she fits the bill for many people.

No comments: