We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Friday, June 8, 2007

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (#15, Contemporary Literature)

I would like to start my post by saying why the heck does there have to be that stupid Oprah seal on the book cover???? The copy I read certainly did not display it. Ugh, wasn't that the first thing Steph and I said when we started the whole reading and reviewing? NO OPRAH BOOKS! Okay, so maybe we lied. I can't help it if once in a blue moon Oprah chooses a book that isn't meant for the general population. Anyway, enough ranting.

Middlesex was good. I liked the history of the family starting back in Greece in the early 20th century. I am not going to lie, a brother and a sister becoming husband and wife is a little weird. (Sorry Andre, never gonna happen! :) I learned a lot from reading this book, and mostly things I probably did not want to know about. For instance, what exactly is a "crocus" and can I see a picture of one on Google Images? (That is absolutely what I am going to do the second I finish my review)

Great beginning, great middle, but seriously did it have to end as it did? Stop reading now if you haven't read it yet and plan on it . . . was it really necessary to kill off the Dad? What is the literary necessity there? Enough other drama hit the fan at the very end, I just really didn't need so much all at once. I think having a child who you think is a girl but is actually a boy is more than enough for one parent to deal with, but no, go and kill off the husband too, lucky lady.

Good book. Anytime something I read makes me want to learn more about another subject I give it a thumbs up. Off to study up on hermaphrodites.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Has anyone noticed the physical resemblance of Jeffrey Eugenides to William Shakespeare?