We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Friday, June 8, 2007

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (#14, Classic)

As I continue along the list of books I want to read I have started to see a trend with myself. I am a lover of Classics. Classic books are my tried and true. I guess it makes sense that I would prefer books that have been read for generations by all types of people and are still considered good. Give me a classic any day, forget about the new fangled contemporary fiction and cry-baby nonfiction books, anyone can write a memoir.


The Count of Monte Cristo is on my top ten favorite books list, so of course I had to branch out and read another Dumas classic. I love reading a book that in one moment seems so serious and proper, and the next I am laughing out loud at a man dressed as a woman being called a slut. The characters are funny, heroic, evil, silly, moronic, and best of all clever and full of depth, and if they don't have depth I believe Dumas made them that way on purpose.

I love adventure, I love mystery, I love comedy, and Dumas deftly weaves all three together into a beloved classic.

No comments: