We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike (#27, Contemporary Literature)

Forgive this post from the start. I finished reading The Witches of Eastwick about three weeks ago and have read almost two books since then. I think that is one of the problems with our goal, I am so concerned with getting to the finish line that I am starting to look at the books as numbers rather than enjoying them for what they stand for. Rather than reading books I want to, I find that I am often picking books just to have the next book waiting. Don't get me wrong, the majority of the books I have read, whether I liked them or not in the end, I wanted to read. But the reading is not the only difficult part of the challenge. Once you start reading a book and you realize it is a dud, do you put it down? What about all that time you have lost on a book that will not be one of your 50? What to do. For me I generally push through because I always like to know what happens regardless of whether I think it sucks or not.

Enough of the digression. I am behind, we all know this. I will read 50 books though. If I have 10 left to read during the last week of December you can be guaranteed I will plow through ten books, and ten quality books at that!

Back to The Witches of Eastwick. I had heard of the book, I had heard of John Updike, but I knew nothing of his style or content. While I was reading I was surprised by lots of "nasty" language. Nothing like The Crimson Petal and the White, but there was a fair share of "husband sharing" and naughty hot-tub scenes. Definitely not what I expected in a book about three middle aged "witches". After marinating in my mind for almost month I give the book two thumbs up. It is a book about chicks, and chick power, and it is written by a man. Props to Updike.

No comments: