We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (#36, Reader's Choice)


Yes, I grabbed this book from the Young Adult section of the library. It is crunch time here at Booknymphs and you cannot begrudge me my youth novels. But I will say that Paolini's writing is sophisticated enough for an adult reader to enjoy. I thoroughly enjoyed Eragon. From the beginning I was hooked. It has been a while since I have been able to find a science fiction/fantasy novel that satisfies me to the point where I actually finish it.

Eragon actually smacks of Harry Potter. It is a well-crafted magical world. I read a lot of it at work during down time and the moment my eyes would lock onto a paragraph and I would start reading, I was thrust into a world with dragons, elves, scary creatures called Urgals and magic. It is hard to read at the counter because there are constant distractions but I had no trouble drowning out the phones and even customers while I was reading this book.

I finished it this morning at work, about ten minutes after we opened. To my dismay I found that this is not a stand alone book. The ending is a cliffhanger. There are no answers on the last page; instead, Paolini just gives us more questions. I was thoroughly annoyed but kind of glad that there was a second book waiting for me, and a third one that has yet to be written. These characters, Eragon, Murtagh, Saphira--they are new found friends who will be around for a little while longer. I can't wait to read the next one.

No comments: