We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Friday, November 30, 2007

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez # 39, Contemporary Literature

It is books like One Hundred Years of Solitude that scream for some translation/discussion/explanation, especially for the bible illiterate, like myself. I started off really enjoying the book. I remember, three weeks ago (way too long when I have 11 more books to read), laughing about pig's tails and quirky characters, but it was all downhill for me when two of the four main characters had the same name, and then four of the eight had the same name, and then eight of the sixteen . . . you get the point. I have a hard enough time learning the characters and keeping everyone straight in complicated novels, but add in the fact that they all have the same name. It was too much to handle.

I have been wanting to read a novel by Marquez for years, pretty much ever since the movie Serendipity, when Sara writes her number in Love in the Time of Cholera. Multiple people have told me that their favorite book of all time is One Hundred Years, but it definitely wasn't for me. I was also speed reading through the last two hundred pages when I was making such slow progress. No time for casual reading with thirty-one days to go.


39 down. 11 to go.

No comments: