We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, November 19, 2007

Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare (#39, Classic)

Oh Shakespeare how I have missed you. I've decided that one of my lifetime goals is to read every Shakespeare play. If I read two plays a year for the next twenty years, I should accomplish that goal. Twelfth Night, along with the Tempest and King Lear, are on my self-induced Shakespeare reading list. I once blogged about how much I disliked Shakespeare but now I find myself missing the language.

I don't think Twelfth Night was one of his major plays, but I have always wanted to read it because they use it at the end of Shakespeare in Love as the play he writes about Gwyneth Paltrow's character. In the movie he bases the character Viola on her. I enjoyed the cross-dressing and same sex attraction. This was a comedy, so at the end everyone ends up getting married and the topsy-turvy world created by the gags and pranks gets righted in the end. It wasn't my favorite but it passed the time and provided me something to read that I could keep a safe distance from.

No comments: