We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson (#10, Nonfiction)

It is questionable whether I want to go to Australia more or less after reading Bryson's book. On the one hand there are a ton of amazing and beautiful places to see--lots of hidden treasures. Yet, on the other hand there are a ton of amazing and painful ways to die--hidden behind every corner. Beauty or safety . . . ?? Really, I don't understand how people live there! I can't even go for a walk by myself in a neighborhood near a park that MAY have mountain lions. I am a scaredy cat, plain and simple.

But yes, someday I will go to Australia, no question. It is also no question that I WILL NOT be traipsing through any long grass, through spider webs, and I can pretty much guarantee I will have to be taken by force into the ocean. I like to swim the way nature intended--in a swimming pool!

Bill Bryson is great. If you have yet to dabble in any of his books, I highly recommend it. He is funny, smart, and likable. He writes well and he made me laugh out loud many times--mostly with recollections of nights he may have drank just a little too much Victoria Bitter. And clearly that just made me enjoy him that much more!

1 comment:

Bnizzle said...

I am not sure about the protocol of commenting on my own post, but here I go. Last night I was out at a bar in DC, playing darts with my friend. Off to our left two men appeared and sort of skulked there for awhile trying to get up the nerve to talk to us. Finally, one of them struck up a conversation with Sarah, and I noticed he had an accent. We all started chatting and turns out they were from Australia! I couldn't tell them fast enough that I now knew "everything" about Australia. But it was great because they are from Camberra, which I would have had absolutely NO idea where it was, or that it is the CAPITAL! This is why I love reading!