We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, March 17, 2008

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood (#13, Just for Fun)

I pretty much got obsessed reading this book. I tore through 450ish pages in about 36 hours. I really enjoyed it. Margaret Atwood is a great writer, and it's always nice to read a very women intensive book from time to time. She does a great job of telling the story of women, their lives, and their relationships with men, work, kids and each other.

The plot in The Robber Bride includes four women, three who become unexpected friends, and the evil women who forged their friendship--Zenia. Zenia is utter evil: she is conniving, tricky, syrupy sweet and draws everyone in to her and then uses them for all they are worth.

It's mysterious, horrible, shocking, loving, and hopeful all at once. You really feel like you know all the characters--except Zenia because she is just too evil to understand. My one major issue with the novel is the ending. You go through over 400 pages seeing Zenia tear apart lives and homes, and I wanted an explanation--what was she angling at the whole time? Was she just a bad seed out to use everyone for money, pleasure, and vanity? Is that all there was to her? I guess I wanted something to come out of Zenia's mouth that wasn't a lie, something to make me understand her actions--funny because I think that is what the three main characters wanted too. Maybe Zenia charmed me just like she charmed all of them.

No comments: