We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, March 17, 2008

The Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (#12, Contemporary Literature)

I am going to apologize now for my lacking posts for the last book, and apologize in advance for this one and near future ones. Although I am reading avidly, I have about zero desire to think and relay those thoughts in a clear and clever manner. Whether it is the stress of looking for a job: applying to as many jobs every day and knowing I am one of a hundred "qualified" individuals, my mind is mush. Or maybe it's emotional turmoil. I want to keep up with my posts, yet, I don't really feel like writing anything.

I enjoyed this book. Historical fiction=good. It also made me think about what would happen if some pandemic occured in the present. Would we be stoned if we left our houses? Would giant X's be painted on our doors? It's scary, but as history has shown, it can happen. Hopefully it won't happen again, but the reality is startling--note that 3/4 of the jobs I am applying for are at health non-profits and they all focus a huge amount of their work on pandemic preparedness!

No comments: