We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, May 11, 2009

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (#16, Contemporary Literature)

Ignatius J. Reilly is quite possibly one of the most memorable characters of all time. Infamous may be the best way to describe him or possibly ridiculous and most definitely infuriating! Sometimes he says things that made me laugh out loud, and others made me want to throw the book down in annoyance.

I highly recommend this book to most people. Apparently it is classified as a "guy book." I'm not sure I can adequately explain what that means, but I think I would probably have to agree. There is a lot of potty humor, which I generally don't find all that entertaining, but somehow it works and doesn't come off in a slap stick manner. We read it for book club and we discussed this theme, and a lot of the other girls agreed they don't normally find potty humor funny, but somehow John Kennedy Toole made Ignatius gross, and disgusting, but did not lose all his civilized female readers. :)

There are a ton of great characters and themes and it all ties together at the end. It was funny in such a clever way. It really is too bad that this is his only book.

No comments: