We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Escape by Carolyn Jessop with Laura Palmer (#18, nonfiction)

I found this book completely riveting. The writing and actual story-telling ability were mediocre at best, but the underlying story is just so out there, and she does an amazing job including tons of specific details and stories. I was hooked.


I am completely fascinated by extremist groups, specifically those that exist in the United States. In high school I did a report on the incident at Ruby Ridge. That was back before the whole Internet craze, so I actually had to read books about the incident.
The story is of Carolyn Jessop, who was born into a polygamist family. At 18 she married Merrill Jessop, 50, and became his fourth wife and went on to have eight children in 15 years. She details her entire life, and the abuse, neglect, and oppression that finally caused her to flee the cult. (Merrill Jessop went on to father over 100 children!)

After I finished the book I quickly googled "Warren Jeffs" and boy was I in for a treat. I got to watch videos of him--he looked absolutely nothing like what I thought he would look like, I imagined him older, and fatter. Here he is with one of his brides.


I also got to watch videos from the raid of the Yearning for Zion (YFZ) ranch in 2008, and interviews with practicing members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS).

I would recommend the book to anyone because it's just so amazing that this took place in the 21st century.


No comments: