We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Friday, May 22, 2009

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (#12, Contemporary Fiction)

What is my deal? I have been reading books and then promptly forgetting that I have read them. Why I completely spaced out and didn't blog about Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book is beyond me. I actually really liked it and would definitely recommend it to friends--in a non Prep-like way.

The main character is Hanna Heath, an Australian manuscript conservator and the story basically arcs around her restoration of the Haggadah, a Jewish illustrated prayer book. Every time Hannah uncovers some detail or odd thing about the ancient book, we are thrown back in time and we get to find out what really happens. I found myself skimming Hanna's parts just so I could get to the neatly crafted historical chapters. I really liked the piecemeal way Brooks tells the story of the Haggadah. Definitely worth reading!

No comments: