We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers (#24, Nonfiction)

When I saw that this was our bookclub pick I got pretty excited. I have been meaning to read Dave Eggers for some time now, and I have heard from more than one person that this book is great--maybe even their favorite book of all time.

I immediately loved his random banter-type writing. You feel like he is talking to you, not writing a book. I really enjoyed his story-telling and style for the first 200 pages, but then it turned a little too random and stream of consciousness for my liking towards the end.

Dave Eggers is definitely a unique writer and story teller, I don't think he is for everyone, but he is definitely worth checking out. Even though I may not have loved his style throughout, his story is certainly out there and one worth telling.

He is one of those writers that you want to meet in person. He has had a crazy life, and yet he comes off as so normal in the book--no addictions, a good role model to his younger brother... but you wonder, is he a little quirky or totally messed up?

1 comment:

Dana said...

I think what this book does so well is that it captures the feeling of being in your 20s. Eggers's situation is not typical for most of us, but you still can identify with his just starting out in the world, but not really knowing his place in it. Having to be responsible, but having no clue what you're doing.

When I read AHWOSG, the randomness and stream of consciousness made me feel like I was having a real conversation with him--sort of like how on gchat you can be talking to someone about two different things at the same time ("I was on Dupont Circle and they were filming the Real World-- annoying. yes, i think we should meet for drinks at 6").

Agreed, the book isn't for everyone. But you have to love the opening, "I am tired! I am true of heart!"