We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Captain Alatriste by Arturo Perez-Reverte (#40, Reader's Choice)

Quick read. Moderate action. Interesting twist. Good use of history.

Sorry, but those sentences are about as intricate as my brain has been functioning lately. After 40+ hours a week of mindless work at J. Crew, I think I am losing my mind. Quick! I need to get a real job before I lose everything I have gained from my many years, and thousands of dollars of education! Stay tuned, maybe once booknymphs has been successfully completed I can start a blog about finding a job in DC. Yes, DC, here I come.

Captain Alatriste is the first book in a series by Spanish author Perez-Reverte. As I have found out I am a sucker for historical fiction, so when I saw a book that was trying to imitate the style and time period of Alexandre Dumas I had to check it out. Fortunately for me, because of my time crunch, the plot was very simple and rather one dimensional, therefore not in anyway on par with Dumas, but of course I didn't expect that. I may have to check out the next few books of the series and see if the plot and characters can grow on me some more.

No comments: