We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, January 7, 2008

2007--A Year In Books

So the challenge for 2007 was to read 50 books. This challenge was met with about 5 hours to spare. I cut it pretty close, but I still finished. I learned a lot from filling the genre quotas, and I step away with a greater appreciation for nonfiction. Here are my top 5 worst and best books of the year:

Worst:
1. Lost and Found--This book disappointed me with its bad writing and predictable ending.
2. Bergdorf Blondes--Horrible. I wish I could make money writing something as flimsy and stupid as this book was.
3. Girl Cook--No redeeming qualities to be found here.
4. Colors Insulting To Nature--This one had potential but it was just too sensational, too campy for me to really enjoy.
5. Play It As It Lays--Yes, I am putting a Joan Didion book on my worst of the year list. Get over it.

Best:
1. Life of Pi--Absolutely loved this book. I highly recommend it.
2. Everything Is Illuminated--The play on language was entertaining and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Go read it!
3. The End of Mr. Y--All English majors who like theory will like this book. My last one of the year ended up being one of the best.
4. Eragon--Could be the next Harry Potter series. Delicious after a string of bad picks.
5. A Walk In the Woods--The first nonfiction book I really liked and was excited to read.

No comments: